Over the past few months RAW has been working to reintroduce the historic Zelman building back to the city of Wichita. This great downtown building, located on the corner of Douglas Avenue and St. Franscis Street, was originally constructed in 1903 as a bank. In 1920 it changed owners and became the Sam Zelman Clothing Store. This store continued selling clothing until its close in 2006.
The first level will be a combination of three tenant-finish retail spaces, and the second level will be turned into six studios and three one bedroom apartments.
This upper level, originally used as a boarding house with small bedrooms and communal bathrooms, features a 10′ wide hallway and 12′ high ceilings.
To fully utilize the ceiling height, the space above the bathrooms and closets were lofted to create a 4’6″ tall space for mechanical equipment, storage or even sleeping.
The project is being put on the National Register of Historic Places, so much of its old character has been maintained and celebrated.
Visit the Zelman Lofts website at www.zelmanlofts.com for more final photographs of the project